Friday 29 October 2010

Synopsis

For my ‘Major Project Preparation’ I want to look towards art directing my own photo-shoot. I want to take inspiration from my own personal philosophy and also my childhood experiences and memories. I will also look into stories and films that have influenced me as a child and held my imagination.

I therefore, hope to create a final body of work for portfolio which is influenced by the above.

I hope to submit my final photographs to a live magazine that will hopefully be published. By doing this I will gain acknowledgement within the fashion industry.

In the future I would ideally like to work as a stylist alongside a photographer or for magazine/television/advertising.

I am inspired by photographers such as Tim Walker who works alongside Shona Heath, producing imagery that is inspired by fantasy and has dreamlike qualities.

Another photographer who inspires me is Annie Leibovitz who also uses childhood stories to influence her work with a historical reference.

From looking at these photographers I hope to develop my own work, particularly focusing on set design which plays a major role towards presenting the narrative of these photo-shoots.

Alongside the photography I also hope to make a short film showing the behind the scenes process of a shoot. I would like this video to be shown on my own website which I will hopefully be developing next year. This film will act as a promotional film, showcasing my roles and art direction on a shoot.

During this project I hope to work with free-lance photographers, make-up artists, hairstylists, models, film makers and editors. By collaborating with other people I am hoping this will develop my own ideas which I had not originally initiated and also mean that I will have contacts with whom I can work with in the future.

I also hope to work with independent retailers in the hope of gaining contacts to source from and to also promote their products. By doing this I will need to consider the consumer when applying the styling and narrative to my own photo-shoot.

For a basis of research I want to combine first and secondary primary research. My research will also include visits to museums and locations whilst incorporating a mixture of books, articles, magazines, internet and video study.

I will be using a PDP online blog to document and evaluate my findings alongside a tactile scrapbook to document texture and clippings. By having an online blog it will help me to communicate my work quickly and clearly with the people I will be collaborating with.

This unit will enable me to develop my understanding of the fashion industry through submission of photo-shoot/s and working with people from the fashion business. I would like to eventually look into branding myself as an art director/stylist. By doing this project I also hope to add something new and original to my portfolio and to also prepare me for my ‘Extended Major Project’ and to be shown at graduate fashion week.

No comments:

Post a Comment