Wednesday 3 November 2010

Models

Looking back at my Childhood photographs I have decided to use one female model and two male models linking to me as a child, my brother and best friend.
I wanted to use a female model with a Doll like look which would link well to everything I have been looking into.
I found Emilia on Model Mayhem and felt that she really had the look I was after. However, she took a very long time to reply and I therefore felt it would be better to look for a different model that would be more reliable.
I therefore decided to contact Lottie who I have worked with before. She is under the Saphires Modelling agency so I had to get their permission to use her beforehand.
I'm very pleased to be using her as although she is only new to modeling she has a natural photogenic look about her which is not forced nor posed.
For my male models I wanted to consider the customer of Loot I therefore decided to look at street style of men in Brighton who fit the customer target at Loot. This proved really insightful as it showed me the type of style I was looking for when choosing my models.
I found both of my male models on Model Mayhem by searching for male models in the area that had the particular look I was after. I came across a few models and sent the same generic message out:

Hi

My name is Vicky and I'm a stylist from Brighton. I came across your Model Mayhem page and really loved your look. I'm currently looking for two male models to shoot alongside a female model in an Autumn/Winter shoot in the next couple of weeks. The shoot will be on the 11th of November based in Brighton.
Please let me know if you are interested or would like some more information.

Many Thanks
Victoria Smith
http://toriesmith.blogspot.com/
http://www.modelmayhem.com/1587346

After sending out this message to quite a few male models, I reduced my search down to two.

Lucas St James
I chose Lucas because of his strong jaw features, I felt he had an interesting look about him and he seemed really friendly and enthusiastic about the photo-shoot. Despite not having much experience in his portfolio I felt that this would benefit me rather than burden me as I wanted 'real' guys rather then ones that posed. I wanted men that the customers at Loot could relate to, not be intimidated by.

Dan Jones
I liked Dan's look but had come across boys with a more interesting look, however he was the most enthusiastic about the shoot and was the first to contact me back. Through constant emails and phone messages, Dan was happy to do anything to get this job. Because I felt he had quite a commercial look about him I asked if he would mind cutting his hair for the shoot so that he fitted better to the alternative look I was after.
He happily accepted this and cut his hair shorter on the sides with longer on the top like the images below.
Overall I am really happy with my models. What I think is important is also the character of the model. I have worked with models before just based on their looks and sometimes they can seem very pretentious, therefore finding a group I am happy to contact and ask for what I want enables me to get the final images I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment