Friday 12 November 2010

Behind the Scenes at the Shoot

I was extremely worried when I woke up yesterday as the weather was horrendous. It was torrential rain as well as high winds with no sign of getting any better.
However we went on as I had planned picking Lydia up a little later due to the heavy traffic because of the weather.
Because Lottie had stayed the night before this made it easier as we were not waiting for her to get to Brighton either. It meant that as soon as Lydia was here we could get on with her make-up and hair which would take the longest to do.
Lotte and Luke turned up on time at 9:30 and we went up to Stanmer woods to see what the situation at the woods was like.
It was still pouring with rain and very muddy so we decided to head home to see what shots we could do inside. One of our ideas was to set up some of my idea such as the tent indoors.
I wasn't able to pick up Lucas and Alex until 11:30am due to the late start and the weather.
Dan was also late in arriving because of traffic on the way to Brighton.
However, looking at the weather it said it would be clearing up so we managed to leave mine at 1:30 and start shooting at 2:00.
The first shot we did was the main one I wanted with all the props on the tree trunk armchair. It was so windy going there that Lottie nearly lost the fake hair on her head.
After the prop set we decided to head back to the cars so that everyone could change. We also decided to use the lane right next to where we were parked to do the mirror shot. This was because the props were taking time to set up and were heavy going in the weather that we decided this would be our last prop shot.
You can clearly see how muddy this slope was, everyone managed to slip down it except the model thankfully.
To get the shot we balanced Lottie against the mirror as her support then moved quickly out the way so that we could be out of the photograph.
You can clearly see here what a miserable day it was. I'm amazed everyone was so happy. However something I have learnt by doing shoots is to keep enthusiastic and positive. Although I was secretly panicking because the shoot wasn't going exactly to plan, the only person who knew that was Lydia and that was only because we had been discussing back up ideas if this failed.
We decided to moved further down into the woods where it was more sheltered. You can clearly see how fed up the models look here despite smiling.
When I did speak to Lottie about it she said she didn't mind she loved modeling so as soon as her picture was being taken you had no idea she was cold and wet!
Finally the sun began to make an appearance which defiantly brightened everyone's mood and meant that we could photograph quicker.
I did originally want to do a picture of the dress Lottie is wearing underneath but it was so cold that I scraped that idea and got her to do the second look with the red cape.
My friend Steve was meant to bring his red bike for this look but because of the weather it meant that he was unable to ride the bike up to the woods. This was unfortunately something else I had to scrap the idea of.
One of the most funniest things happened on this shoot. Poor Lucas managed to sit on dog mess whilst playing on some of the tree trunks. The poor guy was so embarrassed and upset that I didn't show that I was worried about it. Instead I turned the whole thing into a joke saying that he has cheered everyone up. I think he was more reassured and joined in laughing about it. Sometimes these things happen, it defiantly did sum up the day though.
I'm really pleased with the styling in this shoot. Because of the time being cut this also meant that I had to cut down on some of the outfits so I decided to do some of my stronger looks. I think this look works well because the red splits up the blue and white snow jumpers but the socks still link with back to them.
The main aim of the tree swing shot was to warm everyone up, very pleased as it did the trick.
In these photo's you can see the difficulty Lydia had to keep the hair on Lottie's head.
Despite the terrible weather I think we managed to get some great shots. I will look through some of the images and work out whether we may need to re-shoot later.
A photo of the end of the day of the team from left - Dan, his girlfriend Emily (who had been great throughout the day helping me hold things out of the mud etc) Lotte, Luke, Lydia, Lucas, Lottie and Alex (the behind the scenes film technician).

No comments:

Post a Comment