Thursday 25 November 2010

Experimenting with Different Papers

I've started experimenting with different papers to see the effects it give s. I bought a load of different hand-made and scrap paper which I just masking taped to plain copy paper and then printed off the images on a standard home printer.
During this process my printer kept running out of ink and in some of the pictures the ink bled in to the paper. Usually I work very precisely so this has defiantly made me work not so perfectly.
It was nice to see the effects of things when something went wrong and how they have actually worked instead of hindering me.
I think through these experiments I have become more open to change and that things going wrong aren't necessarily the end all. They can in fact be the beginning of more experimentation's.
I think the papers that worked the best for me was when the ink bled through the papers and the paper was slightly translucent. It meant that sometimes the reverse side was more interesting that the correct side of the print. This can clearly be seen in the picture using the Angle hair paper.
Here the image ran out of ink but it shows how well the picture works when cropped. I like the empty space of paper which is just from an old envelope.
This image I think works particularly well. Its just on an old newspaper cutting and the ink had completely ran out of colour so was mainly just red, I think this adds to the effect though.
Again the reverse side of this paper works just as well, if not better, than the front of it.
I think this image is my favourite out of all of them, I love the old sepia style look that gives effect to this image. It makes it look as though it came from a period print. I think they styling helps this with the lace and the coat. It makes the image look timeless.
Another thing I quite liked, is that when I took the masking tape off the picture it would sometimes rip the outside of the paper. I like the almost worn old effect this gives. This really links into the decayed and eroding images I had looked at in my sketchbook.
This experiment of changing the midd tones so that the ink didn't sink so far into the paper. It works particularly well. I did run out of ink again but again I think this adds to the quality.
I don't think this speckled paper works that well for a close up image but looks great on the image in reverse and the picture of the boys just below it.
I like the reverse of this image, it looks very wintry and just illuminates the darker elements of the pictures.
I like the fabric effect these images have, I think it would work particularly well if these were applied to heat transfer inks to see how it would behave on fabrics.
What I like about all of these images is the fact that I never know what outcome I'm going to get. I can see what paper I am using and which picture but it depends on the ink and how it effects the paper that the outcome changes every time. This is something I would defiantly like to develop in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment