Thursday 18 November 2010

Comparing Different Layouts in Magazines

I decided to look into my own work to see how different images look when put into a magazine format.
This shoot I did with Lotte for the Epona photoshoot. It was published in Lumine magazine later this year. The photos were submitted to the magazine then the magazine chooses the titles, the font and layout.
What I think is interesting, is the fact that they have named the title A Day Without Rain. I can say from being on this shoot, this defiantly wasn't true. We actually did the make-up on a fold-up make-up chair whilst we held two umbrellas over the equipment and another over the model.
However it does it's job by telling a story that does defiantly look as though it will pour with rain any second (which it did).
What I also find interesting is the extract of writing they have included. It gives a personal touch to the photograph and shows how the magazine wants to portray the photographs. It is defiantly interesting to see how the text and layout has transformed the overall feel of the photographs.
This is another photo-shoot that I had published in the Autumn issue for Celladoor Magazine.
I love the way they have presented the photographs. The title gives it a girly, vintage type look with the illustration of the frame and the faded letters. I'm not sure the colour of the font works entirely well but I think it works better then the previous spread.
I also like the way they have changed the size of the images so that two of the same look can be shown, just one with more detail and one as an overall image.
This is the same shoot by used by Edie Magazine. Although this isn't a spread, it shows how different the image is when put in a different format.

I think out of all the magazines of my photographs I prefer the Celladoor one as it seems to fit best with the actual photographs. The story they have portrayed links well to the actual photographs and the layout of the pages give the photographs justice in showing the clothes clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment